Friday, May 04, 2007

Novena in Honour of the Visitation of Mary

On 31st may, we will be celebrating the feast of Mary's Visitation to her cousin Elizabeth, which is
(1) A glorious occasion in which the Unborn Son of God and Saviour was acknowledged by his herald, John the Baptist, also unborn.

(2) The moment in which Mary was declared "blessed among all women", and hailed as the Mother of God.

(3) An opportunity to reflect on the virtue of visits in the Catholic Tradition.
Below are some reflections for this feast:

Visitation means "visit." The Archangel Gabriel told the Blessed Virgin Mary that her cousin Elizabeth was going to have a baby. Elizabeth was an older woman. Mary knew that she might appreciate some help. She started out at once on the journey. Mary's trip was long and dangerous. It was uncomfortable, too. But that could not stop her. She rode on a donkey. Mary reached her cousin's house. She was the first to greet Elizabeth. At that moment, God revealed to Elizabeth that Mary had become his mother. Elizabeth asked joyfully, "How have I deserved that the Mother of my Lord should come to me?" Mary remained humble. She quickly gave all the credit to God. He had blessed her so richly. "My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior," she said. "For he has regarded the lowliness of his handmaid, and holy is his name." What graces the Blessed Mother brought to the home of her cousin! St. John, while still hidden in his mother's womb, was cleansed of original sin. Zachary was able to speak again. St. Elizabeth was filled with the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Mary stayed three months at her cousin's home. With great kindness and love, she helped Elizabeth. Reflection: "My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has regarded the low estate of his handmaiden, and holy is his name." (Luke 1:46-55)


Below is a Novena which can be used in preparation for the feast (22nd May - 30th May):

I greet you, ever blessed Virgin, Mother of God, throne of grace, miracle of almighty power! I greet you, sanctuary of the Most Holy Trinity and Queen of the Universe, Mother of mercy and refuge of sinners!
Most loving Mother, attracted by your beauty and sweetness, and by your tender compassion, I confidently turn to you, and beg of you obtain for me of your dear Son the favor I request in this novena: (state your specific request or intention here!) Obtain for me also, Queen of Heaven, the most lively contrition for my many sins and the grace to imitate closely those virtues which you practiced so faithfully, especially humility, purity and obedience. Above all, I beg you to be my mother and protectress, to receive me into number of your devoted children, and to guide me from your high throne of glory. Do not reject my petitions, Mother of mercy! Have pity on me, and do not abandon me during life or at the moment of my death. Daughter of the Eternal Father, Mother of the Eternal Son, Spouse of the Holy Spirit, Temple of the Adorable Trinity, pray for me. Immaculate and tender Heart of Mary, refuge of the needy and hope of sinners, filled with the most lively respect, love, and gratitude, I devote myself forever to your service, and I offer you my heart with all that I am and all that is mine. Accept this offering, sweet Queen of Heaven and Earth, and obtain for me of your dear Son, Jesus Christ, the favors I ask through your intercession in this novena. Obtain for me also a generous, constant love of God, perfect submission to His holy Will, the true spirit of a Christian, and the grace of final perseverance. Amen.


Thanks to all our friends for use of the material!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank-you for posting

10:04 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for this. I plan to use it as a Novena for our Knights of Columbus programs.

6:45 PM

 
Blogger Dking said...

thanks for sharing..I'm saying this novena for this month

6:17 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this novena. God bless, protect, direct, save you and your loved ones; those who make this novena in honor of Our Most Blessed Mother! 🌷👰🌷 🙏

9:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much. May our Mother Mary visit our families and grant all our heart desires through Christ our Lord and our joy will be like that of that baby in Elizabeth's womb that leapt for joy on account of her visit. Amen

12:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home